Hey everyone, Stephanie here. I have been thinking about the curriculum modules we are beginning to create and it made me think that if we are asking the students to go out and explore their city, neighbourhood or community then why shouldn’t we also explore OUR spaces too. We have to model the activities so that the students can have a better understanding of what we would like them to do.

This morning I decided to explore part of the neighbourhood I live in and see what I could find. I live in a pretty dense urban area with an industrial/business area close by. Not to mention the two major roads that sandwich me between them. You could say that I wasn’t super optimistic of what I would find on my walk this morning. Well as I explored I found this little park with some forested area around it nestled in amongst the single family homes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this little park and green space for the children in the area to have to explore, create and imagine in. While I wish there was more green space for them to utilize I also thought maybe the children in the area use the spaces around their houses to create, play and imagine together. Perhaps the lack of green space encourages them to collaborate together to create chalk drawings, fantasy lands and a space to build their own ‘city’.

Stay tuned for a map of my neighbourhood!