I bet you are wondering how the three of us can be doing an internship that is happening in India. Well there have been quite a few VERY early morning zoom calls, copious amounts of research, reading and discussion. We have been doing all of this to come up with some awesome classroom activities that schools in Chandigarh and Abbotsford can do, as well as finding ways to make the city more child-friendly. So come join us as we document our internship.

Hi my names Stephanie and I am just one of three interns on this project. I am currently in my forth year of my Bachelor of Arts Degree with a major in Geography and minor in English. The hope is to enter the teaching program at Simon Fraser University or The University of the Fraser Valley for 2022. I plan to teach grade 3 and once I am settled in a position I want to pursue my Masters of Geography or Education.

In my spare time (when I actually have some) you can find me playing soccer, reading and getting some fresh air hiking.

It has been quite interesting finishing my degree remotely, as I never expected to or wanted to take an online class. Working remotely on this project has definitely thrown some curve balls in the mix, but if I can adapt to this then hopefully teaching a room full of kids will be easy.

Stephanie’s certificate of completion of ethics training at UFV

Hi my name is Missy. I am one of the students who is taking part in this unique internship experience. I am in the third year of my Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in History and a minor in Geography and plan to enroll in the Teacher Education Program in 2023.

I am a busy mom of two elementary school boys and when I’m not working remotely on completing my studies, I’m usually out on an adventure exploring trails, reading a book or travelling the world.

This year has been full of changes and has drawn attention to the need to redesign spaces. It has brought up opportunities to dig deeper into the socioeconomics of our communities and find ways to make our cities more inclusive, especially for children. I am excited to be apart of this internship and look forward to collaborating with the Punjab University on this unique project.

Missy’s certificate of completion of ethics training at UFV.

Hello! My name is Casandra, and I am the third intern participating in this internship. I am currently a fourth year Bachelor of Integrated Studies Student completing a double minor in Sociology and History. I am also a wife and mother to three children. I have always found myself drawn to the profession of teaching. My passion to become an educator stems from my interest in lifelong learning and my personal beliefs about giving back to community.

Teachers, curriculum, and student voices play a key role in helping us educate and empower the future generations of our communities. When we acknowledge children as active citizens and implement their perspectives and views on society and development, we stand a greater chance in challenging issues that facilitate inequality and exclusivity. By ensuring our cities and communities represent all citizens, big and small, we promote equality and inclusivity at both the community level and the global level. This internship will provide us, as interns, with opportunities to develop curriculum that promotes both child advocacy practices and inclusive urbanization in the cities of Chandigarh and Abbotsford. I am so excited about the opportunities this Internship will offer to me and my fellow intern partners, both on our individual educational journeys and in our future careers as educators.

If you would like to get involved in an internship, you can learn more about the available opportunity here: https://ufvfoodsecurityinternship.ca/intern-testimonials/